Tuesday, June 30, 2009

2009 Bite Me Summer Road Trip

*New Orleans*

With summer here and the recession keeping our money tight, it’s getting harder for people to go on vacation. This year many people plan on staying in their own towns, but I refuse to be held down. The one thing I miss the most from my childhood is going on road trips with my parents to little cities across Texas. I decided this would be a great chance to take Bite Me on the road.

The first half of the tour I drove to New Orleans, Louisiana. This is a city with years of tragic history and a poor image since the media frenzy surrounding hurricane Katrina. New Orleans. Needless to say I was a little apprehensive about choosing New Orleans because of its safety and not to mention the costs. As the trip grew closer I was beginning to regret it but there was no turning back. I had only been to New Orleans once in my past and I wasn’t old enough to enjoy it (i.e. drink). This was my chance to see what the hype was all about and get a chance to sample some great food.
When I announced the trip recommendations flooded in with tips and advice. After awhile I began hearing about the same restaurants and cafés over and over again. While they all sounded like a great place to check out I thought there has to be more out there. I didn’t want to visit the tourist spots and while the French Quarter is a tourist trap in itself, I knew there had to be some great food waiting to be tasted. I’m your average person, I like simple things and I don’t want to spend my whole paycheck on one meal. One thing I noticed while doing my research was that restaurants in the French Quarter can be very expensive with the average plate costing about $25 per person. While that may not seem like a lot to some, I have to spread my money to take this trip from New Orleans, Louisiana all the way back to Austin, TX and still have enough money to pay for the expense of traveling back to Houston.We arrived in New Orleans on a Friday night just before midnight. I have always heard New Orleans was the city that never slept in the south and I was hoping this was still true post Katrina. Since we arrived under the cover of the night we didn’t get a good look at the outer regions of the city but as we reached the inner city lights of the warehouse district I was honestly shocked. It all seems so pretty and clean. I was beginning to think this wasn’t a bad idea after all. The streets of the French Quarter seemed welcoming with that old Victorian feel. I was ready to drop my bags at the hotel and see what hidden gems awaited us. I wanted to explore Cajun food and find out what the locals favored. I wanted to find out who had the strongest drink on Bourbon Street. I was anxious to learn a little bit about beignets and who was serving them up. I knew this would be a trip I wouldn’t soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment