Tuesday, June 30, 2009

2009 Bite Me Summer Road Trip *New Orleans*

Mother's Restaurant
401 Poydras St
New Orleans, LA 70130-3207
(504) 523-9656
http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/


While doing some research for this trip I came across Mother’s Restaurant. It has been highly recommended by many to be the place to find the best Po’ Boy in New Orleans. I don’t care where you go, everyone always thinks they have the best but when your customers are the ones putting the word out, it usually means you have something good. I figured Mother’s would be a great place to start my exploration of New Orleans fare. One thing I find very annoying about the French Quarter is parking. There never seems to be any free parking. Like any downtown I suppose parking is limited but the prices here are a little higher than usual. We park a few blocks down and make our way to Mother’s. I’m starting to feel very good about this venture and I’m looking forward to this over stuffed Po’ Boy. When you walk into Mother’s there isn’t much to say about the place other than it’s a little warm and everything looks aged. This place is said to cook up the world’s best baked ham. It’s even printed on the sign outside. Everyone kept telling me about the Ferdi Special so I had to know what the buzz was all about.
The Ferdi Special is a large Po’ Boy stuffed with Ham, Roast Beef, Debris and Gravy (Debris is roast beef that falls into the gravy while baking in the oven). We figured it would be nice to share a bowl of Red Beans & Rice, a Cajun staple. Once you place the order they begin to prepare it right away. The food was out to us pretty quick and I was pretty impressed by the size of the sandwich. The French bread was over stuffed with plenty of meat to serve two people and Red Beans & Rice seemed like the perfect side to share with a meal like this. I was eager to jump, but intimidated by the size of this Po’ Boy. I decided to just pick it up and dig in. Gravy came running out as I bit into the bread. Right away I noticed something wasn’t right. The roast beef was very dry. Sure it’s usually dry but it almost felt hard to swallow. While the gravy helped moisten the meat it just seemed like it wasn’t enough, not to mention there really wasn’t much for flavor. The red beans and rice even seemed to be a little flat. I had to throw in some salt and pepper just so I could taste this meal. Where was that spicy and flavorful Cajun spice I was expecting? I was a little disappointed with Mother’s. Had the hype killed this place? Maybe it was just a bad day, but for $40 for two Po’ Boys, two drinks and a bowl of red beans and rice I felt a little shafted. I think the Ferdi Special had some real potential but a dash of seasoning to both the Po’ Boy and the Red Beans & Rice would have made this experience so much better. I personally think that’s a lot of money for what you get. Like I said maybe it was just a bad day. Next time you’re in New Orleans check it out maybe you will have a better experience.

1 comment:

  1. $40 for a po'boy meal for two?!
    that sounds really expensive to me... thats about what i spend on sushi for two!

    yowza

    ReplyDelete