Wednesday, July 29, 2009

2009 Bite Me Summer Road Trip *New Orleans*

Café Du Monde
800 Decatur St.
New Orleans, LA.
(504) 525-4544

http://www.cafedumonde.com/

When people think of New Orleans deserts they usually think of a few things: King Cakes, Bread Pudding and Beignets. On this trip I felt it only necessary to find out what made Café du Monde stand above the rest. In a small in/outdoor café across the street from the St. Louis Cathedral they are frying up these little French donuts three at a time. Unlike your usual donut Beignets are fried and coated with tons of powdered sugar while they are still hot. When I say a town of powdered sugar I mean a lot. The proof is all over the floor. While others have told me about different cafes but Café du Monde has the most history. Café du Monde opened up in 1862 and it still stands in the same spot. They are still making the beignets the same way and pouring out the same coffee. This must mean they have been doing something right. No trip in New Orleans is complete without Café du Monde Beignets and famous chicory coffee. It was very hot and humid on our trip so as we stopped in to the café they last thing we wanted was hot coffee. They have a very smooth iced coffee that compliments the sugar coated beignets. The beignets were nicely fried to a golden brown and doused in powdered sugar and brought to us right away. The taste was decent but it wasn’t something that blew me away. The texture wasn’t as soft as a donut and there were no glazes or fillings just fried dough and powdered sugar. I felt that there was just too much sugar. With every bite it there would be a clump of powdered sugar caking behind my front teeth to the roof of my mouth. Don’t get me wrong it was good but I wouldn’t have minded a little less sugar. Word of warning, this coffee is strong. And not made for those with a sensitive stomach. While it was a delicious beverage to wash down the beignets it did reek havoc on my tummy that evening. While in Café du Monde you will notice tons of waiters and waitresses waiting for customers to sit down. I had to know a little bit about the café so I struck up a conversation with our waitress. I found it very interesting to know that in such a little place they can have up to 15 employees bringing you your fried dough. Each person only has a couple of tables and they work fast and hard in hopes of a good tip. I can vouch for the employees that getting the tables cleaned and ready for the next customer isn’t an easy job. It’s very hectic inside Café du Monde and they are working for very little money. They only accept cash because when you place an order the waiter or waitress has to pay for your order with their own pocket. Next time you stop in to enjoy some beignets and coffee think about your waiter and be sure to tip nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment