Wednesday, July 29, 2009

2009 Bite Me Summer Road Trip

Austin, TX




Austin, Texas, Home to the Texas Longhorns, great music and most of all great food. On this trip I was set. I knew exactly what I was looking for. I like to think of Austin as my second home. Many people congregate in Austin for music festivals or just to party the night away on 6th St. Not me, at least not this time. I’m here for the food. I brought the 2009 Bite Me Summer Road Trip to the capital of Texas to find real Texas barbeque, find out who is hand tossing the best pizza and explore the sweet creamy goodness of cupcakes.
In Texas we are known for great smoky barbeque. Sure there are tons of places we could visit but with such a tight schedule we could only pick three. Emails came in from all over the place telling us to try this place or that place so I picked the three I heard most about. I’m sure there are tons of other spots that we could of checked out but don’t worry. As much as I visit Austin I will get to them all soon enough. To find out who took our vote for the best barbeque be sure to read the Texas Barbeque Showdown. In Austin, when looking for pizza you have more than enough to choose from. Honestly I think it’s pretty hard to go wrong with a pizza but in Austin they have taken the love for the Italian dish to a whole other level. You can find a pizza parlor or trailer on almost every block in town. It probably has a lot to do with all the college students around. One thing I’ve noticed about Austin is their support for local businesses. Sure you will still find your usual pizza chains but here it’s the independent guys that are taking the cake, or should I say pie? On this trip we chose to triple up on everything so we found three parlors and had a pizza toss off. To see who we picked and who came out on top be sure to check out the Austin’s Pizza Toss-Off.
Looking for something sweet and small? Drive around Austin and you will find some great bakeries baking up some of the sweetest and most delicious treats in all of Texas. I found the cupcake to be a growing trend and everyone is putting their own spin on this tasty little cake. From store fronts to trailers, Austin is baking up some great cupcakes but who’s got the better batter? Be sure to read the Austin Clash of the Cupcakes and find out who has the best bang for the buck.
I would like to say thank you so much to all the new friends me met while in Austin. April from Sweet Leaf Tea was a great host. She offered advice on places to try and things to see and she even introduced us to the wonderful staff that keeps Sweet Leaf Tea brewing. Also I would like to say thank you to everyone at Republic Tequila. If anyone knows how to welcome guest into town its Republic Tequila. They have left a lasting impression on me and would like to wish them the best of luck on the release of the tequila this month. They have made me a true tequila admirer now and I can wait to go back to Austin and see them again. Austin you are a wonderful and beautiful city. I can’t thank everyone enough for their hospitality and their friendship. Bite Me Austin!

1 comment:

  1. Yo Mike,
    Great post! I can't wait to read the BBQ & Pizza showdown posts; it's still not 9am and I've had a decent breakfast, and you managed to make me hungry all over again. D'oh!
    I am happy to have been able to offer some tasty suggestions for where to visit and for offering some good old, Sweet Leaf Tea hospitality. I look forward to seeing you guys again soon!

    Thanks for the blog shout-out my friend!
    -April Riggs
    Consumer Services Manager-Sweet Leaf Tea Co.

    ReplyDelete