Monday, April 13, 2009

West Gray Cafe

West Gray Cafe
415 W Gray St
Houston, TX 77019
(713) 528-2887


It's a Thursday night and the day before good Friday. People are out running the streets and packing in the bars to enjoying a night of sin before the holy weekend begins. This year I played it safe and enjoyed a night at the Miller Outdoor Theater. Which is a must see too but that's a whole different blog. After the show we are let loose on the streets looking for a late nite bite. driving down Gray Street I stumble upon the West Gray Cafe. A major draw to me was the open 24hrs right on the sign. From the outside this places doesn't really scream out high class dining but its a cafe and once you sit down and enjoy the food who cares what the place look like eh? We walk in starving and ready to eat like always the service is always top notch. We were welcomed right in and taken to a table. The menu offers your usual diner choices from breakfast to sandwiches and your common dinner platters. I feel a Greek presence in the room so I opt in for the Gyro. I had a feeling I was in for a real treat. I also decided to order the biscuits and jelly for a little desert. I gotta be careful not to over indulge, summer is coming up! The food was at the table within 15 mins. They must have known we were hungry. At first glance the gyro was not as big as other spots around town and the french fries were your normal precut frozen variety but once I started to devour that gyro it felt as though a symphony of flavor was playing in my mouth. The tzatziki sauce was very smooth and added a nice moist touch to the already juicy and tender mystery meat combo. I have to mention the feta cheese. The feta here was amazing! It was not over powering and almost felt like silk on the tongue. It added a huge amount of flavor to this gyro and I would have to say even though it wasn't the biggest gyro in town it was one of the biggest in flavor. I'm drooling just thinking about it. Don't think I forgot about the biscuits. The biscuits made me think of my grandmothers homemade biscuits. They had a nice buttery flavor and they brought out with a basket full of butters and different flavored jelly's. The biscuits crumble at the slightest touch but not in a bad way. Just slap on a little butter and jelly to keep them together and enjoy. I would probably recommend a little milk because its going to be rich! So the next time your looking for a bite to eat no matter what time it is, stop into West Gray Cafe. You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment