Monday, May 18, 2009

BB's Cajun Cafe

BB's Cajun Cafe
2710 Montrose Blvd
Houston, TX 77006
(713) 524-4499
http://www.bbscajuncafe.com/

It’s one of those nights where you get out late and you’re looking for a bite to eat before you head to the bar. It was passed 10pm and a lot of places were closing, so as I came to towards the intersection of Montrose and Westheimer I noticed the small gleaming light coming from BB’s Cajun Café. Located in a small strip with a gas station, the parking is limited but I was hungry so I made it into a narrow spot and headed in. At first glance nothing really screamed "Louisianan café". Not much for decorations either, just a few hand painted signs thrown upon the wall. While the place was a little small we didn’t have a problem getting a seat. The staff was very friendly as offered advice and answered any questions we had about the menu. He also recommended the daiquiris but the Abita beer took my attention. Abita Amber is a great beer brewed in Louisiana. It’s a delicious amber lager that is oh so smooth and malty. It is not a heavy beer so you can drink up without feeling weighed down and I think it goes perfect with Cajun food. I will admit that the menu is a little short and they specialize on the Po’boys but there isn’t a very large selection for down home Cajun cooking. The waiter recommended the Bedtime in the Bayou Po’Boy (fried gulf shrimp dressed) but I wanted something with New Orleans flair so I went with the Royal St. Secret (Turkey, ham, sautéed mushrooms, tomatos and a mayo relish sauce) and a cup of Maw Maws Chicken & Shrimp Gumbo. I felt a little let down with the limited selection but I was too busy enjoying the Abita. The gumbo came out right away. Served hot it was perfectly complimented by the cool refreshing beer. The gumbo was rich and thick with plump soft rice and generous chunks of sausage and shrimp. It was a little salty but not over powering. I was starting to really like this place. The gumbo came with a slice of French bread that was soft and chewy. When the food came out I was pretty amazed by the appearance of everything. The Po’Boy was pretty big and was stuffed with meat. The fries were cut very thin in a shoestring style. Seasoned with some Cajun seasoning it gave these crispy little fries a nice little bite. The bread was very soft and chewy. This really calmed my nerves because Po’Boys are often served on a hard piece of French bread ready to inflict damage for all the year of bad French jokes. At first bite I knew I was in love. The combination of the ham, turkey, shrimp and mushrooms make a perfect pairing that seemed to rave in my mouth. The mayo relish sauce was thin and flavorful. It brought so much to the delicious plate. After devouring the first half I felt almost full. It was like Mardi Gras in my belly, the party was packed and I still wanted more. As I tried to keep going I couldn’t get enough of this delicious creation. At first glance I was expecting a very mediocre café with half ass food but I soon fell in love with this place and I didn’t want to leave. I highly Recommend BB’s Cajun Café if you’re looking for a bite even late into the night. They are open till 3am on the weekends and till midnight thru the rest. Also the website says they have a special on Lone Star for $1.75 every day! I honestly can’t wait to go back to try their daiquiris, boudin and beignets. BB’s ya stole my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment