Friday, May 29, 2009

Memorial Day BBQ

Every year we get a 3 day weekend and pay respects to the brave men and women that have given their lives and continue to fight for our country. We spend time with friends and family and if you are from Texas you usually have a BBQ. I am a big fan of BBQ and I try to do it every month if possible. This Memorial Day weekend I went all out grilling brisket, chicken, sausage, burgers, hot dogs and more. I like to think of it as a meat-stravaganza. I like to start the marinating process the day before. Coating the beef in liquid smoke with secret spices and giving the chicken a spicy citrus bath. I form the hamburger patties as large as my hand and pack them with onions and spices. Just marinating this food makes mouths water. Another specialty of mine is my queso con carne dip. A spicy cheese dip with onions, tomatoes, peppers and ground beef is a favorite of all my guests. It’s a nice snack to have while the meat is sizzling the grill. You can’t have a BBQ without beer and this year I wanted to take a little tour of Texas. The fridge was packed with Lonestar, Shiner Bock, and St. Arnold’s Texas Wheat. Someone even showed up with some German brews, Hofbräuhaus Hofbräu Hefe Weizen & Weihenstephaner. With friends and family gathered, the Astros on the TV, meat on the grill and cool beers going down, I couldn’t ask for more. As soon as the brisket was cooked I was ready to make a little snack, my famous BBQ Nachos. Since I love my readers so much, I have included the recipe below. Grilling can be a very tedious but rewarding event. Once you see your guest savor each bite it all seems worth it. The burgers came out juicy and smokey with a nice mild kick to them, the brisket falling apart,oozing hot succulent juices, the chicken had a smoked flavor running through and through. This BBQ without a doubt was a success. Even though it rained hard in the afternoon the BBQ was a hit. Nothing goes better with good ole Texas BBQ than beer! And since we had such a nice selection, it made this meal scream "Texas". Even the German counterparts complimented this carnivorous feast! Weihenstephaner is said to be the world’s oldest brewery. Brewing since 1040 they have made one of the best German beers I have ever had. This smooth beer gave a nice clean finish with no harsh overtones. This beer was perfect between each bite because it seemed to refresh the tongue and add a sense of excitement to every bite. The Hofbräu Hefe Weizen was a floral bouquet of deliciousness. It’s little lighter than other Hefe Weizens, but has a heavier punch to it. Both beers went great with grilled meat. As always you can never go wrong with Texas beers. The Lonestar and Shiner went down quickly while St. Arnold’s Texas Wheat was something to savor. This was a great Memorial Day BBQ and I patiently await the next chance I get to grill. I would like to personally thank all of the men and women that fight for our country and given their lives. They will never be forgotten. I just wanted to remind my readers that you don’t have to support the war or the president but always support the troops. This Bite is for you troops! I hope everyone had a great and safe Memorial Day Weekend.

Mike’s BBQ Nachos

1 Hand Full of Tortilla Chips
1 Cup – Chopped or Shredded Brisket
1 Cup – Baked Beans
1 Cup – Spanish Rice
1 Cup – Chili Con Queso

Lay the chips on a plate and layer on the Brisket, Beans, and Rice over the chips evenly. Dump the queso heavily upon the mountain. Grab a beer and devour!

No comments:

Post a Comment