Monday, May 4, 2009

Oishii Japanese Restaurant

Oishii Japanese Restaurant
3764 Richmond Ave
Houston, TX 77046
(713) 621-8628
http://www.oishiihouston.com/


Over the last few years I have become obsessed with the Asian cuisine and cultures. Lo and behold, the Japanese have won my heart over with their succulent fresh fish, many of which never touch a pan.
A coworker told me about Oishii, a hole in the wall sushi spot tucked in the Greenway Plaza area, in a small shopping strip. I felt the need to check this place out, because in life you find that some of the best things come from the most unsuspecting places. As I drove down Richmond Ave. looking for Oishii I found it hard believe this was going to be cheap night. As I pulled up I was a little nervous by the looks of the place because it was a very small little restaurant located next to a convenience store. When we walked in, this place immediately reminded my girlfriend of an authentic sushi bar in Japan. This place is decorated in an authentic Japanese decor equipped with a large shrine of the Japanese lucky cat figurines and Japanese beer signs. It gave this place a very friendly and inviting feel. The waiter took us to our table and gave us time to look over the menu. They were very helpful and answered any questions without giving off the feeling that we were being rushed. The menu was pretty big and offered a wide array of both cooked meals and sushi. I couldn’t believe how cheap everything seemed. I was expecting to find tiny rolls and thin slices of fish. My expectations were pretty low but I decided to enjoy my Asahi and just go with the flow. We ordered the Rainbow Dragon roll, six pieces of sushi (Red Snapper, Fatty Tuna & Spanish Tuna) and two salmon hand rolls. As it arrived to the table my jaw dropped. I couldn’t believe how big everything was. The roll was bigger than many other spots in town and almost half the price! Wow. The fish was robust and full of flavor. No words could do this place the justice it deserves. The hand rolls were pretty big and stuffed with salmon and rice but the seaweed was a little dried out to my liking, but still tasty as all hell. My mouth was in heaven, the fresh flavors made me beg for more. Each piece of fish was so big it took at least two bites to finish. I was blown away by everything here. While savoring the experience I went over the drink menu and something caught my attention. Asahi Black was something very new to me. As a long time Asahi drinker I felt a sense of being a novice when it came to this beer. I had to try this hidden treasure. It was very mellow and rich with a nice finish and it added a very nice complement to the sushi. It has no harsh overtones or long lasting flavors but seemed to clean the pallet for the next bite. I couldn’t believe how impressed I was with Oishii. Everything was so delicious and colorful. The taste of the sushi took away any concerns I first had about this place. When I got the bill I felt this place was just too good to be true. At only $36 for food and drinks for two people I found that Oishii was pretty much half the price of other sushi restaurants and you got more food for the money. Though Oishii is not a trendy upscale see and be seen spot, it is a place for great food for a great price. I honestly feel that I have found the best place for sushi in Houston. I can guarantee I will be coming back here for years to come. A piece of advice about Oishii, the place is very small so expect to wait for a table with that being said it shares the parking lot with a convenience store so parking is limited but you can park in the lot next door to the left of the building. Other than that this is a sushi lover’s dream come true. Thanks for the recommendation Jane!

No comments:

Post a Comment